Business owners and entrepreneurs who need assistance are invited to attend seminars in July offered by the Oakland County One Stop Shop/Business Center. Business Basics workshops are offered in the evenings on alternating months.
The following workshops take place at Oakland County Executive Office Building Conference Center, 2100 Pontiac Lake Road, west of Telegraph, Waterford Township. For registration, visit www.oakgov.com/peds/calendar or call 248-858-0783.
• The CEED Microloan Orientation program is 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 11. It covers the requirements and process necessary to apply and obtain a microloan. It is presented by the Center for Empowerment & Economic Development (C.E.E.D.) This workshop is free but pre-registration is required.
• Business Research: Feasibility to Expansion is 9 a.m. to noon, Thursday, July 12. For those thinking of starting a business or who want to benchmark profit margin and other measures against similar size businesses in the industry? Presented by Oakland County’s Business Center, Market Research Division and an Oakland County Public Library business reference librarian. This workshop is free but pre-registration is required.
• 5 Keys to Achieving Fiscal Fitness is 8 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, July 18. Fiscal management tools for the non-financial manager. This workshop provides the business owner an in-depth look at the essentials of using financial information to make effective decisions about improving their business performance. Topics include ways to improve a company's cash flow, How to use the balance sheet and income statement to diagnose business problems and opportunities, how breakeven analysis can help improve pricing and business decisions and how to insure there’s enough working capital to support growth. The fee is $25 per person.
• Fundamentals of Writing a Business Plan is 9 a.m. to noon, Thursday, July 19. A workshop for small business owners who are developing a plan. Workshop participants learn what elements are commonly found in effective plans and work on developing each of these for their own business. Assistance in the process as well as information on resources is provided.
The cost is $40 per person. No refunds.
• Legal & Financial Basics for Small Business is 9 a.m. to noon, Tuesday, July 31. It provides new and existing Michigan entrepreneurs an understanding of the "key” legal and financial considerations when starting and operating a business in Michigan. The workshop is presented by Witzke Berry & Carter PLLC. It his workshop is free, but pre-registration is required.